Saturday, December 8, 2012

Is a hair relaxer a good idea for a water polo player/swimmer with naturally wavy/ curly hair?

Q. I do water polo in the morning- before school starts. I have absolutely no time to style and straighten my hair before the bell rings. I hate having curly and frizzy hair- especially since I have bangs. Lately, I've just been wearing hats. I've looked up different semi-permanent straightening solutions, and it seems that hair relaxing is the cheapest and most convenient way. Could anyone confirm/criticize this, and maybe offer alternatives? Thanks muchly!

A. I'm a swimmer too, with curly hair, and I have the same problem! Instead of having your hair relaxed or straightened, I would suggest having it permed in curls about the size of your natural ones. This will make it style itself without any effort from you, so you could just shower and go after practice but still embrace your natural hairstyle. That will make your perm last longer, as well. Also, chlorine tends to make hair curl and could reduce the effectiveness of having your hair relaxed. Also try buying some quick leave-in products for curls, such as:

Aussie- Catch The Wave Styling Spray
and Sunsilk- Captivating Curls Cream and Gel Twist.

I use those on my hair and they work wonders! :) I hope this helps!


How to straighten hair without a straightener?
Q. I have sort of straight hair. Is their anyway you can straighten hair without a straightener. My hair is not not curly at all. I'm tired of straightening my hair and it's going to damage it one day. I used to straighten it everyday. It normally would take about 5-10 min. So is their anyway?

A. Step1 To straighten hair, begin by shampooing, conditioning and towel-drying hair.

Step2 Apply a heat protectant product to your hair, paying special attention to the ends.

Step3 Place a quarter-size dollop of straightening balm in your palm. Rub your palms together to distribute the product over your hands, then massage it evenly through hair.

Step4 Comb through your hair with your fingers while gently blow-drying it on a low setting. This removes excess water.

Step5 Pull your hair into three sections, two at the sides and one at the back. Clip the two sides up.

Step6 Select a small portion of the hair from the unclipped section to straighten.

Step7 Using a thick, round brush and beginning at the roots, gently pull the brush through the hair to the ends while blow-drying it. Pull the hair away from your head, stretching and straightening it as you go.

Step8 First pull the brush through the underside of your hair so that you expose it directly to the heat of the dryer. Once that area is mostly dry, switch to the top of the hair.

Step9 Keep the tension consistent and evenly distribute heat over the section of hair you're working on. This ensures uniform hair texture and prevents overdrying of certain areas.

Step10 Once that portion of hair is straightened, continue selecting and blow-drying small portions until that section is dry and straight.

Step11 Repeat the process on the two other sections to straighten your entire head of hair.



remember...

Always point the dryer down as you blow-dry hair; blowing hair upward can cause frizzies.

Tame flyaway hair with an anti frizz serum or pomade. Place a few drops in your hand, rub gently to distribute it, then apply it your hair according to the product instructions.

To achieve flat hair, finish styling with a ceramic flat-iron designed for hair after following the steps above. Choose the heat setting for your hair type, and allow flat-iron to warm before using. Select portions of hair, as per blow-drying directions, and slide heated flat-iron along hair, beginning close to the roots and going past the ends of hair, repeating if needed to fully flatten hair.

As with all electrical devices, be cautious when using blow-dryers and flat-irons around water and/or children. Unplug blow-dryer and flat-iron after use, and keep the flat-iron out of reach until cooled to prevent burns.
good luck
hope i could help


What happens if you straighten your hair too much?
Q. I heard that it is bad to straighten hair with a flat iron, but what happens? Also, what hair style cut with look good with a dirty blond with thick, and at parts, wavy hair. I don't like the wave nor the thickness.... Right now it is past my shoulders. I normally wear pony tails, because i don't like it down. any tips?

A. Any prolonged heat styling will do damage to the hair. It strips the natural moisture, which is less abundant at the ends, which of course produces more split-ends and flyaways. Be sure to use products that contain no alcohols, deep condition on a regular basis, trim the ends every 6-8 weeks, and if possible, use a high quality flat-iron with ceramic plates. They are more expensive, but well worth the price.

There are a few things you can do with your style. If you like the length, you can either get a body wave (a type of perm, but w/ loose curls and not leaving you like a poodle), or there is chemical straightening. I wouldn't reccommend the chemical straightening because it can be a lot more stressing on the hair, especially with you being blonde. they are generally done more on people with african descent who have much coarser hair. Or, you can shorten the length. Perhaps you have too much weight pulling downward on your tresses which straightens out the natural wave you may have. Remember that by lightening the weight, you will have a little more curl and volume than you may be used to. If you do this, you'll need to also put in some layers and maybe even some undercutting. Also, with less hair to deal with, straightening won't be such a long task. good luck


How to curl short hair without it looking to short?
Q. I had long curly hair until recently when I cut it short, I like it this way except when it comes to trying to style it. Straightening my hair is easy but now when I try to scrunch it my hair ends up looking to short. And if I don�t put anything in it my hair will become frizzy and poufy. So my question is; how can I make my hair look nice and curly without making it look too much shorter. Should I use a curling iron? Certain hair products? Please help �thank you (:

A. For scrunching; When you're scrunching your hair, scrunch it with gel/mousse first. Also use some hair spray to keep the frizz away but don't scrunch while you hairspray your hair because that will make your hair look big and poofy. If you want your hair to be able to move instead of having your hair like a brick from hairspray, use a hairspray that doesn't have a lot of hold. If you don't want to use hairspray at all, use a blow dryer with a diffuser. When using a diffuser, don't leave the diffuser in one spot of your hair for too long though because that will also cause frizz and that is exactly what you don't want.

Onto using a curling iron; If you curl your hair close to your roots it will take away the length of your hair. What I do is I part my hair into sections. For the bottom layers, I only curl the last 3-ish inches of my hair. This way my hair looks curled but it doesn't take away all of my length. For the top sections, I start about 3 inches away from the roots and start curling (: Hope this helps!





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment